1. What was your 2008 running highlight and running low?
Without a doubt, running and finishing the Tahoe Rim Trail 165-mile run. That was my most epic running adventure ever! Winning my third straight Tahoe Super Triple was a close second, of course.
No terrible lows really, but the last few miles of the Rucky Chucky 50K and hitting the wall pretty hard at the marathon of Spijkenisse (Holland) come to mind.
2. What race are you secretly planning on doing (or contemplating) for 2009 but haven't made it known to the public....until now?
My work takes me to London at the end of May and, surprisingly, that coincides with... the Grand Union Canal Race 145 Miler! The course record for this mostly flat run is 27:01. This one might just play to my strengths and sounds very exciting.
3. Where would you like create and direct an ultra that (to your knowledge) none exists?
I like Alan's idea of running the Death Ride course (Death March?), and I would love to see an actual race covering the entire 165-mile Tahoe Rim Trail, possibly in stages.
Another great venue for a race would be Bullards Bar Dam Reservoir, where I do a lot of training. That place has miles of great trails. One day...
4. What is your "primary" race for 2009?
The Tahoe Super Triple, going for a sub-19 finish and hopefully a fourth straight win.
5. What is the most exciting thing about your upcoming race schedule?
Trying to first speed things up a little to try to run a sub-3 marathon and then going longer and longer.
6. List your planned races for 2009:
Depending on my schedule I will try to run some of the Gold Country Grand Prix races and some of the Ultrarunner.net series races (this series has a lot of new races, which sound like fun).
Apart from those, I am thinking about running the following races:
- Redding Marathon (Jan)
- Jed Smith 50K or 50M (Feb)
- Ruth Anderson (April)
- GUCR-145 (May)
- Tahoe Relay (June)
- TRT 50K (July)
- Cool 12 Hour Night Run (August)
- Tahoe Mini Triple (3 training half marathons around the Lake Tahoe on Labor Day Weekend)
- Tahoe Super Triple (September)
Next up: Back to work on Monday, some more snowshoeing on weekends, and then the Redding Marathon.