Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ray Sanchez in the News

The the Sacramento Bee ran a nice article about Ray Sanchez in today's paper. The writer, Sam McManis, called me to ask a few questions while he was writing the article. There are some quotes from Scott and Alan in the article as well. Note: I don't think I deserve the "veteran ultrarunner" title used in the article.

I met Ray (a former Golden Gloves boxer) for the first time at the Sunsweet Tehama Wildflowers 50K, where he beat me by about 7 minutes, taking first place. In 2007, Ray had a fantastic year and competed non-stop. As it says in the article, he literally came out of the woodwork!

I think his boxing background gave him the mental (and physical) strength it takes to dig deep and compete in ultramarathons. I'm sure we'll probably see a lot more of Ray in the years to come.

Good luck Ray in your upcoming 135-mile events (The Brazil 135, Badwater, and Arrowhead 135)!

1 comment:

Chihping Fu 傅治平 (超馬阿爸) said...

Pete, thanks for the post about Ray. I met Ray at RDL and found within a min that he was a very nice and humble guy. He kept cool and calm even when he had got lost for some miles.

Excited to know him and our ultrarunning community has so diverse backgrounds or runners. Ray is from boxing, some of us working in software, some in law and court, artists, musicians, etc. Glad to know each of us.

Chihping


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.