Saturday, June 15, 2013

Sean's High School Valedictorian Speech


Earlier this week, after four years of hard work, AP and other extra credit classes, and maintaining nearly all straight As, Sean became the valedictorian of his high school class of 2013! It was a repeat performance for Sean since he was also the middle-school valedictorian at the same school four years ago. Sean will be continuing his studies at UC Berkeley this fall, majoring in Computer Science and as parents, we could not be prouder, of course!


Video of Sean's speech

Here is Sean's entire speech:
Good evening family, faculty, and friends. It gives me great pleasure to speak to you tonight and it’s an honor to represent the class of 2013 as your valedictorian. I would like to start out with a quote by Justin Bieber... just kidding, just making sure you’re all paying attention!
All kidding aside... Henry David Thoreau said: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
I feel like I can speak for most of my classmates by saying we are ready to confidently go into the “real world.” Next year, most of us are lucky enough to attend college where hopefully we’ll further educate ourselves in something we love and have dreamt of. And if we want to jump into the workforce or pursue a passion of ours, we can attempt things without a fear of failing; there is nothing holding us back except for our own doubts.
Most of us have been told repeatedly over the years that we should know what we want to do after we graduate. But I would bet that most us—including myself—haven’t figured it out completely. And I think that’s okay. We don’t have to stick to the track that we’re on all the time—as long as we're going in the direction of our dreams, I think we’ll be alright.
l came to MCAA in seventh grade with a group of friends that I grew up with since preschool and a backpack that felt like it was filled with lead. A year later, most of my friends made plans to start high school in Nevada City. I wanted to transfer as well, but it didn’t work out. Every year after that, my friends tried to persuade me to make the move: there were more AP classes, sports teams like track, and—as one of one of my friends who shall remain nameless—put it so eloquently “hella hot chicks.” Was I missing out on the life I had imagined?
Over the years that followed, I made many great friends and it became evident that the teachers and staff at MCAA do their absolute best to help us succeed. Whether it’s Mr. Land spending his free period teaching me calculus problems I didn’t understand, Mr. Pimentel helping me with college applications, or Bonny making sure I ordered my graduation cap and gown on time (yes, that was a close call!), they were always willing and happy to help. I have no regrets about staying at MCAA. To the contrary; I've made long-lasting memories with great friends and received a solid education; I feel confident that I can now pursue my dreams.
So, how can we make sure that we will continue to follow our dreams? How can we make sure we don’t get stuck somewhere along the way? Of course I don’t claim to have the answers to these questions. There are people who are a lot older, wiser, and more experienced that this eighteen-year old high school graduate. But what I do know is this: we have to dream big. In the words of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.”
In closing, I would like to thank all the people who have helped to get me here:
First and foremost, my Mom. I don't think you deserve enough credit for all you've done to bring me here today, so I want to take the time to say in front of all these people that I love you. I can always count on you for good advice and helping me through tough times. You’ve taught me good manners and ethics from a young age. I hope you know I’m as proud of you as your are of me.
Dad: You’ve taught me that hard work pays off and you don’t have to take the traditional route to succeed. Regarding the procrastination part—I’m still working on that.
My brother Rocky: You’ll always be my best friend and the younger brother with whom I’ve shared a bunk bed for more than 12 years. Driving back and forth to school by myself everyday would have been a lot harder without my copilot and personal DJ. Try not to miss me too much next year and I’ll do the same.
To all of my friends, (you know who you are), I love all of you. I’ll miss you next year, but I know we’ll keep in touch. And finally, all the teachers and staff at MCAA. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be in the great place I’m in now. After all, It did take a village to raise this child.
Thank you for your time. 

See also: this newspaper article




22 comments:

Loola 2 said...

That is a good school. I hope that it will be many choices.

G9G said...

To be eligible for admission to the school is the dream of many people, really admire talented people
Kizi | Hopy | Huz 10

Kun hoàng said...

That is a good school and have the opportunity to hunt for knowledge
A10 | Kizi | Faly

What Is Apple Pay? said...

the law of thermodynamics is perfect and suits here. for business issues it is true. i am thankful to you for such a lovely post here.This is a good lesson to remember .

sports authority coupons said...

I really like seeing weblog that comprehend the value. Im grateful to have discovered this publish as its such an exciting one! I am always seeking quality content and content so i assume im fortunate to have discovered this! I wish you will be including more later on..sports authority coupons

How apple pay works with passbook? said...

Your site contains useful information on this topic as I am working on a school project. Thank you posting relative information and its now becoming easier to complete this topic.

Sportsmans Guide coupons said...

Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. Sportsmans Guide coupons

body armour said...

Excellent publish I would like to thank you for the initiatives you have created in composing this exciting and experienced content. body armour

teacup kittens for sale said...

Thanks a lot for this article, mate. It has helped me a lot. I really needed the material on this topic and I did not have any. Thanks to you, though, I have it now. Cheers, mate.teacup kittens for sale

Robert Jennifer said...

Thanks a lot for this article, mate. It has helped me a lot. I really needed the material on this topic and I did not have any. Thanks to you, though, I have it now. Cheers, mate. Silver Jewellery

Unknown said...

Posts shared useful information and meaningful life, I'm glad to be reading this article and hope to soon learn the next article. thank you Limo service atlanta

Unknown said...

Appreciate it lots due to this document, companion. It offers helped me lots. I really necessary the particular substance with this subject matter and also I did so have no. Because of you, however, We have the idea today. Cheers, companion. half up half down hairstyles

Unknown said...

In the event that all of us drive to maintain that illegitimate all of us after that ought to drive to generate alcoholic beverages illegitimate, smokes illegitimate, espresso & diet plan soft drink, happening fastfood chains.
study abroad free

Unknown said...

online college courses have always been favorite to me but i wonder how and where to get some online college courses with certificates and if there are some good online degrees, classes, etc to pursue? for more information on online3cs.com

jack said...

A faster, easier, more effective way to clean your CPAP equipment. testimonials,SoClean kills 99.9% of CPAP germs in your mask, house and reservoir with no disassembly.

al3ab banat01 said...

تعتبر العاب تلبيس من اشهر الانواع في هذا المجال وهي بدورها تتضمن عدة اصناف جميلة ويعشقها الكتير وخاصة البنات منها العاب تلبيس ومكياج التي تمزج بين التلبيس وكذلك الميك اب في آن واحد هذا الامر الدي يزيد من جمالها وتجعل كل من يلعبها يستمتع بذلك زد على ذلك العاب تلبيس باربي التي تعرف شعبية كبيرة لانها شخصية مشهورة ويعرفها الصغير والكبير ولهم ذكريات جميلة معها لانها اشتهرت في عالم الكارتون والان اصبح الامر كذلك في مجال الالعاب وغير هذا هناك كذلك نوع آخر مميز ايضا وهو العاب تلبيس عرائس فالجميع يحلم ان يقوم بتلبيسهما لانها تذكرهم بهذه المناسبة الجميلة الا وهي الزواج التي تعتبر اهم مرحلة في حياة الانسان وهناك انواع مغايرة لها جمهور كبير في كل انحاء العالم وهي العاب قص الشعر ليس هي فقط بل توجد ايضا العاب طبخ التي يمكن للجميع لعبها سواء كانوا اولادا او بناتا وهي الاكتر طلبا في النت ويحبها الجميع ومعها ايضا العاب باربي التي تكلمنا عليها بكل انواعها تتنوع العاب فلاش وذلك على حسب كل شخص ورغبته فهناك عدة انواع منها وهناك من هي خاصة بالبنات واخرى للاولاد وتعتبر العاب تلبيس من اكتر الالعاب انتشارا في الويب وهي محبوبة عند الجميع ولديها جمهور واسع كما انها سهلة اللعب والجميع يمكنه لعبها بسهولة تامة بدون صعوبات تذكر كما ان هناك انواع اخرى متل العاب طبخ والعاب اكشن ومكياج و سيارات الى غير ذلك فلك صنف جمهوره ومحبيه ولكن تبقى العاب بنات الاكتر انتشارا وشعبيتنا في عالم العاب الفلاش كما انها تحتوي على شخصيات معروفة وغنية عن التعريف متل باربي و سندريلا وشخصيات اخرى تركت بصمتها في هذا المجال لهذا اصبح يعتمد عليها كتيرا في صنف العاب تلبيس بنات الدي تحبه البنات بكترة خاصة في العالم العربي مما يجعل المواقع الخاصة بهذا النوع تزداد يوما بعد الاخر فذلك ليس عبثا ففي الحقيقة نوع العاب التلبيس من اجمل اصناف العاب فلاش بصفة عامة و العاب بنات بصفة خاصة
تلبيس في العمل
لعبة الراقصة الجميلة
باربي في الفضاء

Fancy Dress said...

Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post.Fancy Dress

guinea feathers said...

I am so happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation thats at the other blogs. Thanks for sharing this.guinea feathers

cheap tee shirts said...

It might be the most powerful tinnitus cure ever developed. It's the same program thousands of men and women, who have used to cure their tinnitus and achieved relief from the ringing in their ears.cheap tee shirts

Cadencealida said...

GameMS is your best choice to Buy MUT 20 Coins

We are very confident in our store. We have an unparalleled experience. After you experience from our store, you will find that our service is so outstanding, and we are constantly improving according to customer feedback. Our Efforts have also won the affirmation of all users, we look forward to your visit, a wide range of business, to meet any of your needs. Order now and enjoy it.

Sophie Grace said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future. Moschino stuff pack on game sims 4 cheats is out now on playstation 4

Lebron John said...

Why not buy FFXIV Gil on professional IGGM? Honest and reliable!

Attached link: https://www.iggm.com/ffxiv-gil


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.